[Geysers] Yellowstone June 29

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:27:10 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE READING USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT
TO BE REPRODUCED. FORWARDED, OR PUBLISHED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, IN ANY PUBLICATION,
INCLUDING THE SPUT.

Today was a warm, sunny day until the isolated showers hit this evening.  We didn't get nearly as much rain, thunder, and lightening in the Lower Basin as they did in the Upper Basin.

Atomizer major this morning at 0603 (I=14h33m.

Scott reported the Great Fountain eruption at 0814, which had of=85 and p=3.  Great Fountain erupted again this evening at 1938 (of=76, p=6).  Dan and Tricia Miller and Paul and Karen Webb and Shane arrived during the pause to join Karl and Lori Hoppe and Sienna and Josiah for a superburst--one of those massive one, two, three shots.  This one almost got the RV parked where I normally park.

As Scott reported, I saw Pink Cone start at 1353, duration = 107 minutes.  Maybe I'll even get an interval tomorrow.

I timed 8 Gemini eruptions from 1352 (not the first in the series) through the last in the series at 1500.

While I was watching Gemini a visitor said to me, "If the old dragon comes out we're in trouble" in reference to Cave Spring.  At least he didn't walk out there the way 12 visitors tried to do in the 1h10 minutes I was there.  Maybe I'll ask Sam Holbrook for a "Do not enter sign".

Evening primroses are in bloom in the Lower Basin.  Also, penstemon joined the list of blue-purple flowers in bloom.  There is some pretty red Indian paintbrush in bloom in front of the ranger station and some orange and sulphur colored paintbrush in bloom along Firehole Lake Drive.

As I was headed for Great Fountain this morning the snowshoe bunny with its brown coat but white gargantuan hind feet was eating grass along the road just north of Black Sand Basin.  As I was leaving Great Fountain this evening, the bull elk with his large velvety rack was feeding in the lodgepole pines beside the road and backing up traffic.

I smashed my first deer fly on the trail to Artemisia yesterday.

Visitor question while I was watching Great Fountain--Have you ever seen Great Fountain and White Castle erupt at the same time?  I wondered if she'd been talking with some of the gazers about the connections between that cone geyser to the north of Great Fountain and Great Fountain itself.

Lynn Stephens