[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/7 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 05:20:38 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE

REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

When I awoke this (6/7) morning, there was a little bit of snow on the ground.  After two hours in the office, I went outside, saw the snow on the hills and my brain said, "Beehive hasn't erupted yet.  It appears to be winter.  You should go to Geyser Hill."  Poor decision.  About the time I got up on Geyser Hill, the snow started falling more rapidly.  By the time it ended, there was about 2-1/2 to 3 inches of snow on the boardwalk.

Dave Leeking started observing Beehive sometime before 3:45, about the 12-1/2 mark in the interval, so it is unlikely that an eruption of Beehive was missed.

Dave had a Lion at 0343ie, then another at 05:15, the last in the series.  There is an observation of Lion at 1513 in the logbook, which was the start of the next series.

Dave also had Depression at 04:29ie.  There is no other observation of Depression in the logbook.

Dave set a deadline of 0940 to leave Beehive, and he stuck to it.  I said I was going to wait Beehive out, which I did.  Almost 5 hours after Dave left I had been through about 3-1/2 hours of snowstorm, then partial clearing so the sun was shining when I finally called water in the Indicator, and then the Indicator at 1420.  Beehive erupted at 1435.

While I was waiting, I recorded several ie times for Little Cub, and plenty of Plume intervals--starting with a Plume eruption at 0546 (then 0659 per Scott I think) for interval of 73min, followed by 71m, 94m, 83m, 83m, 63m, 68m.

There weren't many people out on Geyser Hill this morning.  Two people came with the Ranger on the Geyser Hill walk in this morning's snowstorm.  After Dave left, I entertained myself by watching the different flocks of birds that were eating insects in the runoff channels--three or four different flocks of bluebirds, a few robins, and plenty of little brown birds.

Scott reported the early morning Oblong--0642ie per Jim.  Bob Bailey reported Oblong at 1204 and I had one at 2050ie.  There may or may not have been one in between.

Jim reported Daisy at 0710.  I think the next Daisy was missed.  Bob Bailey had Daisy eruptions at 1206 and 1402.

Bob (and Emily) and Bill and Carol Beverly were at Grand when I called water in the Indicator.  Emily decided to abandon Grand, even though she knew it was having a good fill.  Sure enough, Bob called Grand at 1422 (T1Q), I=8h04m when combined with Jim's 0618 Grand.

After Beehive, I decided to go to Artemisia/Atomizer since I had seen Atomizer in post-major steam yesterday (6/6) afternoon.  I had a minnor at 1521 (not the first in the series).  I got lucky with Artemisia at 1557.  Then the sky started dripping and looking threatening, so I moved to road to watch the remainder of the Atomizer series--minors at 1812,  and 1955, then the major at 2123.

I didn't make it any farther north than Biscuit Basin today, and may not again tomorrow.

Lynn Stephens