[Geysers] Additional Geyser Report 2 June 2009

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 20:35:28 PDT 2009

Despite having today off, I was inside a lot of the day. I was still
pretty tired from yesterday's Fairy Falls/Imperial/Spray hike.

In addition to Scott's report,

I was at Fan and Mortar after this afternoon's Grand eruption.
Apparently my radio was not sending very clear transmissions because
even the people at Daisy were having issues hearing me. There was an
event cycle this afternoon. I am not sure, but I think there was a
River pause at 1509. From 1513-1541 there was observed Main Vent
splashing. The water levels didn't look that good once Angle first
came on, but they temporarily recovered, and then dropped again. River
came on at 1549, Gold at 1557, Angle at 1605, and by 1615 the water
levels were gone. By 1640 River was off, and I was wet and hungry, so
I decided it was dinnertime.

Scott had shared with me that Aurum was having intervals right around
3 hours 50 minutes, and so on my way back I decided I would wait on
Aurum after dinner and see how I felt about the night's weather. I got
to the bench at Doublet at 1805, and by 1810 it was raining hard
enough to make me feel uncomfortable. Around 1815, I was provided some
nice entertainment. A coyote crossed the boardwalk at Pump coming
somewhere from the middle of Geyser Hill. He scampered parallel with
the boardwalk towards Aurum, gave it a wide berth, and was attempting
to do some hunting near the trail to Solitary. He was too far away to
get a good picture, and I didn't want to move since I had created a
nice dry patch on the bench I was sitting, but I was able to see that
he had found some kind of food and was eating. A large family then
crossed in my way of viewing, and when they had passed the coyote had
disappeared. Aurum rewarded my wait in the rain by erupting at 1825.

I lingered on the Hill for awhile as the rain had let up a bit. On my
way to dinner, I noticed Plume at 1703. On my way back from dinner, I
noticed Plume again at 1757 (d=54!). I was staying on the Hill to
maybe see what Lion would do, but after another Plume at 1904 (d=67),
I was sick of the rain and called it a night.

There was also another Grotto at 1552, preceded by Grotto Fountain at 1549.
Daisy was also called at 1501.

I will probably spend a good amount of time at Fan and Mortar tomorrow
(6/3) even if the weather is not very kind like today.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son