[Geysers] "Beehive Doesn't Like to Erupt at Night"--Lynn Stephens

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 1 18:02:52 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED

FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE.

TARA--If you haven't finished the "Current Geyser Activity" column for the June Sput, you can go ahead and insert this if you want to do so.

Once again, I am hearing the statements “I heard Beehive does not like to erupt at night,” and “So-and-so looked at the data and said Beehive does not like to erupt at night.”  I addressed this issue in a column in the February 2008 issue of The Sput.  Over the years there have been some years when Beehive exhibited a strong diurnal effect and other years when it did not.

Using Ralph Taylor’s electronic data for January 1 through April 22, 2009 (thank you to the Park Service for providing the monitors and to Ralph Taylor for analyzing the temperature data to compute the eruption times),  the best 4 hour window for Beehive is between noon and 4 pm when 26% of the eruptions occur,  9.6% more than would be expected if the eruptions were spread evenly throughout the 4-hour blocks.  Interestingly, the 4-hour blocks of midnight to 4 am and 4 am to 8 am each have 16.7% of the eruptions, the same number that would be expected if eruptions were spread evenly throughout the 4-hour blocks.  The largest deficit is in the 8 pm to midnight block, which contains only 10.9% of the eruptions, a  5.8% deficit.  The other 4-hour blocks with deficits include 4 pm to 8 pm with a 2.6% deficit, and the 8 am to noon block with a 1.3% deficit.

Using available data to date this year, it appears that Beehive’s aversion to eruptions is late afternoon through midnight, but once the clock strikes midnight, Beehive awakens.

2009 Beehive Data 1/1/ - 4/22

Number of eruptions

Percent of Eruptions

Percent if Eruptions were Evenly Distributed

Surplus/Deficit

Midnight to 3:59 am

26

16.67

16.67

0

4:00 am to
7:59 am

26

16.67

16.67

0

8:00 am to
11:59 am

24

15.38

16.67

-1.29

Noon to
3:59 pm

41

26.28

16.67

+9.62

4:00 pm to
 7:59 pm

22

14.1

16.67

-2.57

8:00 pm to
11:59 pm

17

10.9

16.67

-5.77

Number

156

Note, because this is just a quick note for readers of the listserv, I have not performed any tests of statistical significance.  I’ll save those for an expanded article for either the Sput or the Transactions.