[Geysers] A few F & M observation enhancements and a story

Cynthia Barwin rfbarwin at charter.net
Fri Jul 31 08:48:57 PDT 2009

Hello All:
Bob and I were in the park the week of July 18 - 25.  I watched Fan and
Mortar two days prior to the July 22nd eruption.  During that time I
observed more in the way of the classic orderly and lengthy cycles rather
than garbage cycles where hours are spent watching the "Angle Show".  Given
the nature of geysers in that they can surprise us by 'doing something
different', I called two different gold pauses that were not associated with
any events based on seeing these lengthy cycles and knowing that F&M used to
erupt without events. Both the cycles with the Gold Pause had fair to good
water levels for the first 12-15 minutes with the small vents behind Gold
also playing for the first few minutes.  However in these cycles, I didn't
see water levels that would cause me to think High and Gold were trying to
"synchronize and build".

I borrowed Ben Hoppe's notes for the 7/22 event cycle and my additions
within his notes are in parentheses:

My notes before the event cycle:
1500 River on after being off for over 30 minutes
1506 Gold on after being off for over 30 minutes
1506 Angle on after being off for 15 minutes (prior to 1450 it was seen to
put up slight blips)
1526 River and Gold off
1538 Angle mostly off (3 slight blips seen before 1546 - I write 'em all
down)
1550 approx - MV shows varying levels of steam ( gentle emissions to strong
puffs with audible huffs)
1557 Bottom Vent and Lower Mortar 'lots of energy and water' they appear to
be alternating the activity between each other

from Ben's notes:
1600 River on
1605 Main Vent splashes
1606 River Vent off - River Vent Pause with continued splashing in Main Vent
1608 River coughed on and off for a little, but it was still off
(1613 next MV splash, with more seen about every minute until 1639)
(1616 nice water levels showing in Lower Mortar - reaching about 1/3 of the
way up its back wall)
1619-1631 Bottom Vent eruption #1
1637-1651 Bottom Vent was erupting on and off for minutes at a time
(1645 - last MV splash after 6 minutes of not seeing any since 1639)
1650 River on, River pause was 44m
1653 Gold on
1657 Angle on, excellent water levels the entire time
1703 High Vent goes into Lock with Gold following
1705 East Vent start with Main following

As we watched the promising water levels, visitors at Riverside were advised
about the possibility of an F&M eruption.  As the uninitiated arrived, they
settled into the 'viewing benches' that were recently vacated by knowing
gazers.  At this point I have to add that Lynn Stephens and I were standing
on the boardwalk behind a lady visitor who kept asking the same two
questions - "How do you know it's going to erupt?" and "Which one is Fan?"
Lynn and I both separately described that the concerted play of High and
Gold and continually increasing  water levels in those two vents were the
indicators we were watching.  Then her question about Fan was first answered
by me with a description that it was made up of multiple vents, which
included the two that were erupting and several others that were pointed out
to her.  When she asked again, Lynn pointed out the "Fan Geyser" sign at
which time she graciously excused herself from having to answer any more
questions.  I lost track of what happened to that lady, but did convince two
other visitors to move from where they were sitting on the boardwalk by
letting them know that they were in East Vent's line of fire.

Now the story, which I was encouraged to post by the gazer it's about:

While sitting on the benches by Beehive in anticipation of the late
afternoon 7/24 eruption, my attention was turned to two couples after
overhearing them discussing "those people with the walkie-talkies who sit by
geysers".  One of the couples said "the people are everywhere" and described
how they had 'hiked half a mile back in the woods and there as a geyser
there named Artemisia.  An old lady who was sitting up there said we'd see
Atomizer in 10 minutes if we'd stay.  Nine minutes and 50-some seconds later
it erupted.  It was really nice".  The couple added that "Artemisia is a big
pond".  When I shared this story with the 'old lady' it was about, she
laughed and knew who I was talking about and further indicated that she had
overheard that same man admitting to being 70 years old after he had made it
up the hill overlooking Artemisia.  I won't share the identity of the 'old
lady', since it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who she
is.....

Respectfully submitted by

Cynthia Barwin