[Geysers] Geyser Report 7/16

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:43:58 PDT 2009

All times are from July 16, 2009.

I don't have all the times from all night tonight. After 1900, I only caught
some of the radio chatter as I was in my room pretty exhausted from
yesterday's trip to Bozeman and sitting in the sun today. It was a very nice
day. Temperatures were in the 70s with clouds passing through, but nothing
that looked to hold any sort of weather, just nice clouds that gave brief
periods of shade.

For those of you webcam gazers this afternoon, you were probably given a
treat, and I feel sorry for the webcam operators. At about 1350, the
following geysers were all ie: Old Faithful, Beehive, Grand, and Castle. I
was at the Beehive overlook, and it was probably the best place to be. I got
to see nice spikes from Grand, water from Castle, a great view of Old
Faithful, and a dry view of Beehive. It was windy enough that people at Blue
Star Spring got wet very easily from Beehive, but those of us at the
overlook stayed nice and toasty, and especially dry thanks to the wind.

The geyser times from today:
Grotto 0908ie, 1439ie (pretty much a near start)
Lion 1116ie, 1245, 1408
Oblong 0530ie, 1016, 1626
Depression 1005
Uncertain 1048
Daisy 0612, 0836ie, 1311, 1550, 2027
Grand 0531, 1343
Riverside 0857, 1453, 2044
Plume 0702, 0813, 1357
Aurum 1317ie
Castle 1326 major
Beehive 1349 (1333 Indicator)
West Triplet 1349
Fountain 0835vr, 1435 (d=30m)
Great Fountain ~1300vr
Plate 1521ie

I waited for a Rocket major this afternoon since I knew that Grotto was
pretty much a start at 1439. There were multiple times where I had my radio
up and ready to call the eruption time. It poured out a wide column of water
over 5 feet above the cone, the same surge that starts a normal eruption,
and sustained that surge for a couple seconds, then disappeared. Dean was of
the same mindset when I commented how I didn't understand how the thing did
NOT erupt. Apparently, it did about the same thing for the morning eruption.

Better luck tomorrow I hope. I'm hoping to catch the overnight Beehive. If I
don't wake up for it, then, well, I don't wake up for it I guess.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in
me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who