[Geysers] Fan & Mortar 7/13 17:30

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:43:18 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL READING USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT

TO BE REPRODUCED, FORWARDED, OR PUBLISHED, EITHER IN WHOLE OR IN PART, INCLUDING PUBLICATION

IN THE SPUT.

The big news today was Fan & Mortar at 17:30 from a classic lock.  Dean called an event cycle that started with a River Vent pause at 6:39 with Bottom Vent erupting from 06:52 until about 0722 with just a couple short pauses.  RV came on at 0722 and there was some splashing in Upper Mortar but not enough to get us excited.

I had the next shift and called an event cycle that started with a Gold pause, then a River Vent Pause, and a bottom vent that started at 10:26 and continued until River Vent started at 10:38.  At about the 14 minute mark, water levels looked good and we started moving packs and putting on raincoats, but then they dropped.  We had one good fill from Upper Mortar, then a few more splishes from Upper Mortar..  The pack of coyotes was howling at 11:07 and both Kitt and I said the sound expressed very well the way we felt about the pile of rocks.

I had to leave to take care of some paperwork, which took longer than I expected, so I went to the office to type.

The people who stayed at F&M really got dried out by the wind.  At 16:41 Kitt called a River Vent pause (with River Vent off at 1638, Dean said it had been on about 6 minutes) and Main Vent splashing.  Bottom Vent erupted from 1656 to 1658 then went to occasional splashes.

RV came on at  1654; Main Vent had a solid splash at 17:04 and RV turned off at 17:05 for RV pause #2.

RV came back on fairly quickly at 17:09.  Gold held off and didn't turn on until 17:14.  Angle flowed on at 17:17.  Water levels looked good.

At 17:25 Mary Beth called Beehive's Indicator ie (Chris Daubert called this morning's Indicator at 5:11 so LC Daughterty, Ktt, Dean, Jake and Gus Daubert and I made it to the Hill for Beehive at 5:27; Jim S. watched it from the overlook.)  Jake and Gus and their friend (sorry I don't know his name) started to get excited about Beehive's Indicator but Kitt told them "NO, stay here", which they did.  The three boys started cheering for a lock, which happened about 1728.  East Vent took off at 17:30.  Lower Mortar joined in with Fan immediately.  The wind was blowing toward the boardwalk, but even without the wind, Fan would have easily cleared the boardwalk.  Last water was at 18:01 for a 31 minute duration.  (Beehive erupted at 17:39.)

Grand has been on short intervals--0430E, and 1123 today.

Ralph Taylor called a 60 second Atomizer minor at 10:20 so Clark Murray and I went up the hill to watch the major at 11:31 (along with Ralph and Dick Powell).  Artemisia was at 09:17 this morning.

Ralph and Dick also reported Pink Cone at 09:02 today.

Lynn Stephens