Giantess hot period this time?Re: [Geysers] Which geysers have "hot periods"?

James Graber jgra at loc.gov
Tue Jul 7 05:44:18 PDT 2009

I think the difference betwween preplay and a hot period is that preplay like the Beehive indicator and the Great Fountain big boil is a sure thing or almost a sure thing.
On the other hand a hot period is definitely a maybe-baby type of thing.  I would consider Turban cycles to be Grand hot periods.
I would also like to ask how much of a "hot period" did Giantess have this time?  And how reliable are Giantess hot periods?

Thanks.
Jim Graber

>>> "Davis, Brian L." <brdavis at iusb.edu> 7/4/2009 11:56 AM >>>
Along the lies of "which geysers have series" (and what the definition of a series is as opposed to "bursts", etc.), which geysers have "hot periods", and how well defined are these? I can think of the Giant system and Fan & Mortar, but how many others could be characterized this way? One thing I'm trying to come to grips with is the energy balance in such system, and how much must be dissipated during a "hot period" compared to a full eruption.

Or, when does a "hot period" get called a "minor"?

--
Brian Davis