[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 1/30/2009

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 19:21:43 PST 2009

I went out to the basin after lunch, and spent most of my time out by Grand.  Grand was predicted for 12:45, as was Daisy.

Tardy had just finished before I got out there, so the water level in Churn was very high.  Penta was spitting drops in the air as much as two feet, but had no water in the front two vents, and from the amount of snow in the runoff channel, hasn't erupted in a while.

Turban was at 1233, 1252, 1311, 1330 (after which I left, because it was cold.)
Daisy was at 1255.
Bulger erupted at 1257.
Oblong was ie at 1312.  (I know Carolyn had an earlier time in the book for it today, but I didn't write it down.)
West Triplet started at 1315, so that was pretty much the most interesting thing I saw erupt today.

I did have my radio on later (when I was in and out doing chores) and around 4:00 to 4:30 pm heard Carolyn and Butch talking back and forth about Grand (post eruptive?), Beehive, Plume and Castle, but reception was pretty broken, so hopefully Carolyn will post details on here.

Attached is a picture of the new Old Faithful Visitor Education Center, under construction.  I took this picture from the Old Faithful Inn East Wing exterior staircase.  Yes, it is as big as it looks.

Karen Low