[Geysers] Re: Mountian Bikes in Yellowstone : Commercially guided day trips.

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Wed Jan 28 08:50:31 PST 2009

This discussion originated over concerns not related to geysers, but
over the impact of bike groups on guided trips.  In an attempt to bring
this subject to focus on the geyser basins I ask, which is better (lower
impact?), the good ol' days when a few bikes were scattered around Lower
Ham's or the 3-4 dozen or more that now seem to reside all summer long
in the bike racks?  It seems to me that the addition of those racks
solved one problem but now causes an unsightly situation.  Do people
leave their bikes in the racks when they are not in the Park?  I do
think that's happening - a lot.  Is that appropriate usage of a National
Park's resources?  I'll admit that I didn't realize the impact would
lead to that when several years ago Janet and I left ours behind to be
used as "people's bikes", but I now regret doing so.  But back then
there were not nearly as many as what I saw this past summer.  The Lower
Ham racks are now so overused that it is often difficult to find an open
slot.  For the sake of preserving scenic beauty I suggest taking them
with you when you leave.  The guided bike tours do.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
Blessed are those that run around in circles for they shall be called
big wheels!