[Geysers] Benchtop geysers

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 21:47:38 PST 2009

Hi.

About ten years ago my daughter and I built a remarkably successful geyser
out of a 1000ml Erlenmeyer flask, a stout rubber stopper with a hole, and a
section of copper tubing that exactly fit the hole.

To the top was attached (via some sort of glue-stuff like epoxy that
withstood the temps) to a funnel that had a large diameter of about 5
inches.  To the top of this we got some sort of weird plumber's plaster and
built a slightly inclined circular collecting basin on a piece of thin board
- how we attached the board to the funnel I don't recall, probably some of
that plaster.  It was held upright by a large corrugated paper box of the
appropriate dimension.

The copper tubing (about 1/4" diameter, I believe) is what we used for
variations.  Here's how - we'd fill the flask with water to about 700 ml,
stick the stopper (with copper tubing already pushed through the hole), set
the flask on an electric heating element (cheap at Target, etc.) and turn on
the juice.

What was cool was how even modest variations in the tube affected the
eruptions.  For instance, how far above the bottom of the flask do you have
the end of the tube?  It mattered a great deal.  Also, the best results were
with the tube bent into two complete 360 degree vertical rings before going
straight up.

The result was like Tardy.  It would take a while for the water to heat up,
but eventually you'd notice the water level dropping in the flask because
it's rising in the tube.  Then you'd see the water begin to rise in the
funnel, then drop, then rise (a la West Triplet).  Finally, when the water
poured out onto the "collecting basin" it would erupt.  The highest drops
were 8-12 inches. When the water was exhausted it would quickly suck back
down into the flask (draining back from the inclined collecting basin), only
to play again within a minute - with the water rising in the funnel, etc.
What stopped it was the loss of water via spray and steam, so we'd just add
50 ml or so every few eruptions.

One thing - there were inevitable leaks. We finally placed another piece of
cardboard just above the stopper and gently surrounded it with an old bath
towel.  After 30 minutes it was rather damp, but better that than drips from
steam and spray leaking onto the heating element.

It was fun.

We have the data for the variations we tried, but they're in a box with a
lot of Linda's 4th grade stuff.

Paul Strasser