[Geysers] Firehole Lake Drive 1/16/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 15:25:08 PST 2009

Today, a couple of friends and I got a snowcoach to drop us at Fountain Paint Pots, and skied in to Firehole Lake Drive.  The trail had been already broken by wildlife researchers.

  We did not go in to Narcissus, coming from that direction, I wasn't completely sure where to turn off to get to it.  Besides, the tracks would have been visible until the next big snow, so we stayed on the road and trails the whole time.

Artesia Geyser had a higher water level than I have seen before, and some bursts the water was reaching to 8 feet.  We also did the trail around Black Warrior Lake, and Steady Geyser, but geyser fog limited visibility.  Labial was erupting when we went by.

White Dome was quiet.  Gemini was splashing a few inches, but not in full eruption.  Great Fountain was not in overflow.  We did watch Botrydial Geyser.  Because we were skiing all the way back to Faithful, there wasn't time to wait for eruptions.

As we were by Castle on the ski home, we saw Lion ie at 1339.  Total mileage: ~12.

Karen Low
(One of these days I'll have more interesting geyser news.)