[Geysers] Cones

Ben Hoppe educated_idiot_2090 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:12:33 PST 2009

Is Riverside not considered a free-standing cone? It is definitely substantial.
Also, what kind of geyser would Steamboat be classified? I have never seen it, but from pictures, the column looks to be coming from a nozzle. Would it be a cone-type? And would you consider it free-standing?

Also at Norris, if the geyserite cone from the Smithsonian was from Vixen Geyser, would that be another option for this list? It depends on the your definition of free-standing or substantial.
-Ben Hoppe

If you don't stand for something,
You'll fall for anything.> From: Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu> To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:27:27 -0800> Subject: [Geysers] Cones> > How many substantial free-standing geyserite cones exist in Yellowstone?> > Upper Geyser Basin:> > Old Faithful> Beehive> Lion> Castle> Giant> Grotto> Rocket> Mortar> > Lower Geyser Basin:> > White Dome> Pink Cone> Jet> Clepsydra> > Lone Star Geyser Basin:> > Lone Star Geyser> > Shoshone Geyser Basin:> > Union Geyser> Minute Man Geyser> > Heart Lake Geyser Basin:> > Puffing Spring> > Are there really none at Midway, Norris, Gibbon or West Thumb?> > It is interesting to note that of the cones I have listed (16), 8 of them (50%) are in the Upper Geyser Basin.> > One might also ask how to define a "cone." I am listing only those cones that have an arresting appearance.> > Low, mound-shaped masses of sinter, like those around Bulger Geyser, seem very different, almost as if they formed through a different process. Therefore I did not include them in the list. It would appear that cones are fairly rare.> > Any thoughts?> > Jeff Cross> jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu_______________________________________________> Geysers mailing list> Geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>