[Geysers] Vista project at other Park

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Fri Feb 27 09:30:31 PST 2009

Shenandoah Natural Resource Fact sheet states:

"The many named overlooks and drive- by vistas present
along Skyline Drive are well known and loved by Park
visitors. Every overlook and drive- by vista exists because
of a down- slope area of vegetation removal known as the "
vista clearing zone". Vista clearing zones need periodic
clearing to maintain the associated lines of sight. This work
is challenging and hazardous to do by hand, because of the
extremely steep slopes, thick vegetation, and unstable
footing. For this reason the Park currently maintains vista
clearing zones with broadcast herbicide application. In
some cases, fire is used to maintain the clearings. The
Natural and Cultural Resources Division has worked with
the Maintenance Division to survey all of the vistas for
species of concern, and special arrangements are made for
any vista clearing zone that is close to sensitive plant
communities or populations. Furthermore, routine
clearing operations have been suspended when particular
species of exotic plants have been identified at the vista. In
those cases work is concentrated on removing the exotics
and limiting their spread. A Vista Management Plan was
prepared in 1982 but it is outdated and needs to be revised."

My guess is that _if_ Yellowstone has such a plan it is similarly
obsolete or not acted upon.  I'm sure traditional views in Yellowstone
would be similarly loved _if_ visitors could only see them today!
Viewsheds need to be restored and then preserved for future generations.
Precedent exists, at the very least as shown by Shenandoah, so I suggest
getting together to prod some action.  Those on this list who agree
please file a written comment with US Dept of Interior
http://www.doi.gov/contact.html .  The subject should also be brought up
in face-to-face meetings.  Squeaky wheels get grease, especially from
above!

Thanks,
Udo Freund