[Geysers] Geyser question

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:23:47 PST 2009

You indicated "mid-June" for the visit.  The only "unusual" large geyser activity mentioned in Marler's monthly report for June 1966 was Lion Geyser. (What was considered "unusual" in 1966 may or may not be something we would consider unusual today.)

Lion Geyser had no reported activity in May, three "active phases" in June (with active phases lasting 48 to 60 hours).  Marler did not report any activtiy for Lion in July.  Marler reported three "active phases" in August, and four "active phases" in September.

Some other items from Marler's monthly reports for May through September 1966:

There was no eruption of Giantess during those months.

Beehive erupted TWICE--June 30th at 9:40 a.m., and August 28 at 10:55 a.m.

Morning Geyser also erupted twice--August 26 and 29, both at 9:30 a.m. (These were the first eruptions since the 1959 earthquake.)  Fountain was dormant and did not rejuvenate when Morning erupted.

Riverside, Castle, Grand, and Great Fountain were predictable, but Daisy (and Splendid) were dormant.

Chinaman Spring erupted at 8:45 p.m. on August 29th, but Marler indicated the eruption may have been "soap-induced."

Cliff Geyser also rejuvenated in July but Marler didn't mention Cliff in his August and September reports.

Lynn Stephens