[Geysers] Shoshone geyser basin

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Mon Aug 24 18:52:39 PDT 2009

Responding to Steve's post:

>So, is the Hydra known to have minor eruptions?

The Hydra does have minor eruptions.  They mainly release steam and produce little runoff.

>We saw Frill once, I guess a series of one eruption.

Beginning in 2006, Frill Spring's series have become very short, sometimes with only one or two eruptions.
At the same time, they occur more frequently.  The series begins during an extended period of overflow that
floods the crater rim.  This is the only good indication that a series will begin soon.  The extended overflow
can stop at any time without an eruption occurring.

>Yellow Sponge (I think I identified it correctly, but I could be wrong) was active with eruptions to 3-4 feet.
It sometimes drops below overflow.

I suspect you have Yellow Sponge confused with Small Geyser.  In recent years, it is Small that overflows.
It is easy to identify because of the flashing steam bubbles that rise in the crater.  Yellow Sponge has been
active as a geyser recently, but the complex of vents around Yellow Sponge presently produces no overflow.

>Mangled Crater was active with intervals of about an hour or slightly more.

If you could give some specific data on Mangled Crater, it would be interesting.  Mangled Crater intervals
have been very consistent at 95-110 minutes.  Clear evidence of a change would be interesting because of
the development of the small geyser below Mangled Crater.  Intervals must be recorded based on the activity
of the north vent.  The central vent splashes for a long time before the eruption really starts.  Only by
watching the north vent can good data be obtained.

Jeff Cross
crossj at whitman.edu