[Geysers] Geyser Report 8/10

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:00:13 PDT 2009

All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Monday, August 10.

Today was an absolute gorgeous day in the Basin. It started out cool
in the morning but turned out to be relatively warm when compared to
previous days. The night was still quite nice to be out and about.

I will start out with times around the UGB for the day:
Artemisia 1019
Aurum 1632
Grotto 0816
Oblong 0837ns
Depression 1139ie
Rift 0837
Castle 0804 minor, 1732 major
Daisy 0634ns, 0851ie, 1105, 1322ie, 1540, 1805
Grand 0822, 1911 (there was a Vent delay, not sure how many Turban's
it waited/G2C)
Riverside 1126, 1756
Plume intervals were on either side of the 60 minute mark but pretty
close either way
Lion 2138 (I think it was an initial)

>From the LGB:
Fountain 1450

Beehive erupted at 0904 (Indicator 0854) this morning for an i=13h48m.

I went out onto the Hill tonight just after 2100 where I was treated
to a Plume and Lion initial as well. It was a beautiful night with a
star-filled sky, including one very bright shooting star at about
2145. Beehive's Indicator began at 2156. At about 2204, a mother and
her daughter from Minnesota got to Beehive. They told me they were
staying at Bridge Bay for the night, and after looking through a book,
decided that this was the one geyser they wanted to see. The mother
had called the Visitor Center and gotten the last 3 Beehive times, and
they made a guess for about 11pm. They got there at 10pm just to "be
safe," and it was good thinking. I recommended that they just turn off
their flashlights and listen. They couldn't have picked a much better
geyser to see at this time of night. The light breeze was pushing the
2209 Beehive eruption (i=13h05m) parallel with the boardwalk, going
toward the northwest. It was tall, it was loud, and from how they
reacted, it was everything they hoped it would be. Those were two
lucky people tonight!

That's all for now,
-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son