Giantess Big boils Re: [Geysers] Geyser Report 8/6

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:26:29 PDT 2009

   That depends on whether you mean big boils or Big Boils.  In years I
spent in Yellowstone, on any given day, big boils (1-3ish feet) can be
pretty frequent.  I've had days when it seemed like every time I turned
around, Giantess was having a multi-foot boil.  Conventional wisdom says
that it's at least as important where the boils are as how big they are.
Boils on the rim closest to the boardwalk that pour water over the edge are
supposed to be good.  The one eruption I saw up close came out of a series
of rim boils that lasted at least a couple of hours, and not all of which
were particularly big.

   All eruptions of Giantess begin with an event called the Big Boil, a
doming, sustained boil 3-6 feet high, accompanied by thumps, that leads
directly into a series of whole-pool surges that pour water off of the
platform in all directions.  It's a bit like a very compressed version of
the start of an eruption of Great Fountain.  At least in the case of the
eruption I saw, the Big Boil was sudden.  The pool was fairly quiet, then
there was a boil with so much steam that we could only hear it, but it
sounded big.  Then there were a very few seconds of quiet steaminess, and
then there was an unmistakably huge boil, followed rapidly by thumps and
whole-pool surging.

David Schwarz