Giantess Big boils Re: [Geysers] Geyser Report 8/6

James Graber jgra at loc.gov
Fri Aug 7 13:22:48 PDT 2009

Hi,
I asked some similar questions earlier, but no one responded.
How often does Giantess have big boils?
How tall are they, approximately?
Do big boils have any relation to Giantess actually erupting?
TIA.
Jim Graber

>>> Ben Hoppe <ben.hoppe at gmail.com> 8/7/2009 1:04 AM >>>
All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Thursday, August 6.

Today was one of those days where you go through about every bit of
summer weather throughout a day. I got out into the Basin at about
0930, and decided to sit at Giantess. From 0932-0937, it had big boils
about every 50 seconds. The sky was blue, hardly a cloud in the sky,
and no wind until 0940. After 0940, the boils became much more sparse.
It was very windy this afternoon when I went to Lower Geyser Basin to
watch Fountain, and by 1500 or so it was ready to storm, and storm it
did. There was thunder, some lightning, and plenty of rain. By 1900,
the storm was gone, and the sun was shining. There was a beautiful
sunset tonight, which I was able to view from various places on
Firehole Lake Drive.

I was going to go out onto Geyser Hill last night at about 2315 to
wait for the overnight Beehive. However, I only got to the porch of
the Lodge because of the huge lightning storm. As it came closer, I
retreated back to the dorm (about 2330 or so). After the rain had
passed, I went up to the hill, and was up there by 0015, at which time
Beehive was dead. Go figure. I heard someone say that it was 2346 last
night, I will wait for Ralph's data to verify that. The storm was at
its peak right about that time. Since I was on the hill since 0930
this morning, I just never moved from the hill, and saw Beehive's
Indicator at 1129, and Beehive started at 1146. The wind shifted
multiple times, and every time it was directly at me. I got thoroughly
drenched, as the large crowd that was there would not really allow me
to move ways that would have aided my attempts to stay at least
somewhat dry.

I then went out to Fountain, and managed a nice short wait for an
erupted at 1331 (d=32m). On the way back, I was showing my co-workers
around Firehole Lake Drive, and we came across Pink Cone in eruption.
Lynn was at Gemini and said it started at 1355. I went back for the
post storm Fountain tonight. It was not erupting when I was at
Celestine, but when I got to the Paint Pots there was a large steam
cloud - Fountain 1922ns. It ended at 1957. Morning's Thief had
eruptions with each of the Fountain eruptions I saw. As a side note,
Thief did not erupt yesterday (8/5) with the evening eruption of
Fountain that I saw.

Other times from the day that I have in my book:
Oblong 0620ie, 0941, 1809
Churn 0700ns
Rift 0548ie
Castle 0806 major
Daisy 0617, 1021, 1225
Riverside 0850ie, 2034ie
Plume 0820, 0921, 1015, 1108, 1158, 1803
Depression 0931ie, 2038ie
Little Cub intervals seemed to be right around 40 minutes today
Grand 1055, 1754 (notice the 6h59m interval)
Great Fountain 1124
Grotto 2034ie

Hopefully the weather tonight is a little nicer for trying to catch a
Beehive. As of 2000, it was already cooler tonight than it was last
night/this morning at 0030. As long as there is no lightning, I will
be at Beehive.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son