[Geysers] Shoshone Comments

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 17:41:10 PDT 2009

                              From:
Carlton Cross <cross at bmi.net>

Here's a little more information about Shoshone as a follow-up to
Clark's report (23 July 09) and Ben's comments (31 July 09).  Jeff and I
were there on 29 July 09.

First, It appears that Velvet had a large eruption between Clark's visit
and ours.  I've attached a picture of the run-off channel showing that
it is about five times wider than before.  The previous channel was just
the deepest part with gravel up close to the stream.  The run-off that
was previously going toward Lion now bends to the right.  Lion is now
longer drowned and has started acting as in the past.  The water was
still a bit milky.  Old Lion looked dead and cold.

Second, Diverted Geyser was erupting more strongly than I have seen in
the past, so it must have been doing more than Clark saw.  (Picture
attached.)

Finally, the algae in Fall Creek seems to have been washed out.  The
channel was not nearly as colorful as in other years.  For us lovers of
long green and orange slime, that's very sad.

Carlton Cross