[Geysers] Old Faithful eruption Aug 1st 0224pm webcam

Chris Daubert cjdaubert at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:50:16 PDT 2009

I think the simplest explanation is correct - it is a curtain of falling water droplets and mist.

Remember that there are many factors here - variations in height of the water droplets - variations in size of the water droplets - variations in wind etc.  One drop may land closer to OF than the next because the first drop didn't go as high and was larger, the next may have gone higher and been lighter and therefor drifted farther from the source.  That is what I see here - it looks like a jet projecting away from OF because the heavy water is hitting closer to the cone and lighter mist is drifting farther away.

When this "new jet" can be seen in the same location with a different wind direction we'll have something to get excited about.

Chris Daubert