[Geysers] Geyser Report 8/3

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:19:04 PDT 2009

All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Monday, August 3.

No Fan and Mortar yet, we are still waiting on it.

I will address the debate about Old Faithful here. I was obviously
aware of this screenshot taken and posted on the listserv, and I was
not sure what to think. As of right now, I am leaning towards this is
actually a jet. The reason why actually comes from my workplace. I was
working on the register this afternoon, and one couple came to my
register with their items and said, "Well, how about that little side
vent next to Old Faithful! Sure didn't diminish Old Faithful at all
though." This got me REALLY curious. So I went to the Old Faithful
that was tonight about 1930. The small vent, which we know of because
of the steaming, which, when viewed as though you're looking from the
webcam is on the right of OF, was steaming lightly before the
eruption. The wind, unfortunately, was blowing Old Faithful's column
right over this vent, at least from my vantage point. I will note,
however, that the vent was steaming more heavily once Old Faithful's
eruption was done enough to not obscure the vent from view. I am
hoping that the wind direction will provide me with a better
opportunity to keep an eye on this possible new vent sometime in the
near future. I will most certainly try to see a few more Old Faithful
eruptions from up close, and different angles, to try and figure out
what is going on here!

Beehive erupted this morning at 0743 (Indicator 0728) for an interval
= 12h55m, and it erupted again tonight at 2034 (Ind. 2021) for an
interval = 12h51m

Other times from the day:
Lion 0606ie, 0731, 1932ie
Oblong 0533ie, 1144
Plate 1833ie
Castle 1104ns
Daisy 0531ie, 0741ie, 0944, 1142, 1346, 1758 (double interval I am
guessing), 2001ie
Fountain 0750ns, 1418vr
Grand 1319
Great Fountain 1542
Riverside 0940, 1539
Plume reported at 0648, 0747, 0939, 1947, 2047.

It was overcast a large part of the day. There was some rain this
afternoon around 3:30pm for about 5-10 minutes here at Old Faithful.
This evening there was a large storm that had plenty of lightning that
missed the Basin to the north. It was fun to watch while waiting at
Beehive as the storm drifted away.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son