[Geysers] Old Faithful eruption Aug 1st 0224pm webcam

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Sun Aug 2 20:23:40 PDT 2009

To me, the photograph shows a heavy curtain of descending water.

There _is_ a side vent, about 10 feet to the right (east?) of Old
Faithful, that ejects visible steam before and during Old Faithful's
eruptions.  Or maybe all the time -- I've never paid that much attention.
But I've never seen any water from it at all.

By the way, I'm guessing that OF had a very pronounced long/short this
evening (August 2).  The eruption predicted for 20:36 took at least 20
minutes of splashing around (and probably more) before it finally went at
about 21:09.  Its duration appeared to be only 1m50s.  Of course it got
too dark for me to see what happened next...

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu