[Geysers] Geyser killers

GOSA Store gosastore at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 28 20:48:17 PDT 2009

When in a hurry I don't always express things fully.  Such was the case
earlier, so permit me to elaborate.

Political activity can take many forms.  Educational and informational
activity falls under the scope of the GOSA charter and is not prohibited.
Nor is advocating for a cause specific to the interests of the organization
as long as it does not favor or oppose candidates for elective office.  That
is, since GOSA is a "subject matter expert" our opinions can be expressed
publicly when discussions over geothermal things like powerplants are made.
Of course individuals can do and say as they please independent of the
organization.

Let's say a company wishes to build a plant in Island Park, which is quite
likely (pick the low hanging fruit first) since it's already been studied.
By the time an EIS is done, it's probably too late - the discussion is
basically over.  Opinions opposing such a plant should be brought up long
beforehand, even before a preliminary EA is being put together.  That's what
I meant by becoming politically active.  Find out who's doing what, when and
where and basically cut 'em off before they get too far.  If solid
opposition is known to exist, firms are less likely to waste time and money
even on the early stages of a project.  However, once a sizeable investment
is made they are far less likely to let go.  Although I'm not an attorney I
do think that can be done entirely out of the scope of supporting or
opposing political candidates for election, which would cause the IRS to
rescind the non-profit status.

Since the organization is still relatively small and has limited resources I
think aligning ourselves with other larger organizations would be
beneficial.  Cooperation with an outfit that has a publicist and perhaps an
attorney would be ideal, providing they agree with our viewpoint.
Yellowstone Association, Yellowstone Foundation, National Parks Foundation,
Sierra Club(??) are some that come to mind.  I think it would be wise for
GOSA to put together a policy statement with facts and figures that
irrefutably support the position.  Then publicize it however best we can -
website and other media.  Right now there are Wall Street firms pushing
investments in geothermal corporations.  This seems to be in concert with
the administration's effort to "go green."  BTW, I am all for going green,
just don't mess with my geysers in the process!  What I'm saying is the
opponent will likely be well financed and well supported politically.
However, David did slay Goliath.  We just need a solid rock, a great
slingshot and proper aim.

IRS website states: "Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3)
organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly
participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or
in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to
political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or
written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to
any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against
political campaign activity.  Violating this prohibition may result in
denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain
excise taxes.

Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the
facts and circumstances.  For example, certain voter education activities
(including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides)
conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political
campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage
people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration
and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign
activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence
of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a
candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or
group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or
intervention."

Udo Freund

GOSA Store

www.gosa.org