[Geysers] Bear closures and Fountain Paint Pots

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 16:01:36 PDT 2009

We previously discussed the closing of the Fountain Paint Pots trail in early March (before the winter season ended) and the rumor that it was to remain closed all spring because of bear management. Given the latest news, I am hopeful that it was bears in March but that they don't intend to routinely close it in May except for the boardwalk construction.

I was taken by surprise by Lynn's comment about Morning in 1994:

> Very few people were able to see the early April activity of Morning in 1994 (it was only active for a few days, the road to Old Faithful was closed for the spring break, and Fountain Paint Pots boardwalk was closed due to bear closure).

Was it the practice in years past to post this as a bear closure from mid-March to mid-April during the "administrative travel only" time period, and then open it the same day the road opened?

In regard to 1994 specifically, the FPP boardwalk was open the weekend of 16-17 April. (Morning was finished by then.)

I don't, personally, recall seeing FPP posted as a temporary bear closure in the past - though I do recall several times when UGB beyond Castle was closed for a few days to a week in late April or early May in response to bears feeding on dead bison.

GRB