[Geysers] Hygeia Spring area Marshall Hotel site

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Thu Apr 9 06:53:29 PDT 2009

The "geyserite bathtub" has no name. Please do NOT refer to it as "Bathtub
Spring" or "Bath Spring" because we already have TWO springs with the
former name and one with the latter name and we do not need any further,
confusing duplications, which cause trouble.

If you must call it something, call it the "geyserite bathtub."

Hygeia Spring is the round spring on top of the mound. The geyserite
bathtub is merely a human-caused depression and was not originally an
independent hot spring. For more information, see "Marshall's Hotel in the
National Park," Montana Magazine of Western History, Autumn, 1980.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian, NPS
YNP

             Jack Ashe
             <jack.ashe at yahoo.
             Sent by:                  Geyser Observation Reports
             <geysers-bounces@         <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
             lists.wallawalla.                                          cc
             edu>                      <jack.ashe at yahoo.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Geysers] Hygeia Spring area
             04/08/2009 06:33          Marshall Hotel site
             AM

             Please respond to
                  Geyser
                Observation
                  Reports
             <geysers at lists.wa
               llawalla.edu>

I have the following picture of the Hygeia Spring area of the very lower
Lower Geyser Basin (Marshall Hotel group) that I posted on another
Yellowstone forum.  Originally I thought this feature was the same as
Hygeia Spring. However, as I researched the geography more, it appears (see
map link below) that there is a difference between the Hygeia Spring per se
and the feature with the geyserite tub.
If so, what is the geyersite tub called (Bath Tub Spring, Bath Spring ??).

Also, was the "tub" (the squared section at the end) manmade or natural?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/3417054706_02b3465e58.jpg?v=0

Map picture of Marshall Hotel layout:

http://www.nps.gov/history/mwac/marshall_hotel/images/slide_hotel/MarshallFireholeHotel/photo1.html

Additional general info on the Marshall Hotel history.
http://www.nps.gov/history/mwac/marshall_hotel/hotel_arch.htm

Appreciate any help or opinions

Jack