[Geysers] Probable Fan & Mortar 0954 10.22.08 webcam

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Wed Oct 22 17:35:27 PDT 2008

I can confirm that there was indeed a Fan and Mortar eruption this morning.
My computer was sick, so I had to wait until 9 am to drop it off with my
server in West.  Just after driving over the OF overpass at 0950 I saw a
very large cloud of steam down basin.  I stopped at break by Castle, and saw
it seemed to be BEYOND Giant...maybe Riverside?   I drove to the OF Inn
parking lot overlook and saw the column looked very large indeed and to the
left of Giant.  I parked by my bike at 0955, hopped on it and pedalled like
mad.  I saw that Riverside was i.e. at 1000 with a lot of steam to the left
of it.  I saw F&M at 1002 coming down the hill and parked my bike by the
bridge.  Water was still coming from Fan, but Mortar was already in steam
phase.  The boardwalk was wet, and pools of water were in front of and to
the left of Norris Pool.  Intermittent water from Fan reached 40-50 feet or
so, mainly from Main and East vents.  The marker was washed.  Last water I
saw from Fan was at 1025.  Mortar was wet, but seems to have had a short
water phase; no water at all from the time I arrived at 1002.

Lynn came on radio later to say that I had probably seen Riverside first and
that F&M was 0955 n.s.  Also said Artemesia was 0921 n.s.,  I noticed it
first at 0925.  Later saw Indicator at 1255, Beehive at 1308 with nice
double rainbow.  Lynn radioed that Great Ftn. was at 1254.  She said Daisy
was 0908 n.s. and I saw next at 1138.  She said Grand was 0803, tho I'm not
sure if that was start time or n.s.

Talked later with Steve, Ranger at the VC; he had been at F&M at 0930 on
morning check, saw some good steaming, but his marker was still in place.
He missed it by minutes!  At any rate, attached is a pic.