[Geysers] Belated Weekend Geyser Report (Kitt Barger) 10/16-19/08

Barger bkbarger at bresnan.net
Tue Oct 21 00:18:28 PDT 2008

Greetings!
     Due to computer issues I was unable to send this report out on Sunday when I returned home.

     Polly spent most of Thursday battling wind and chilly weather and I arrived at Old Faithful at approximately 1730, after the weather had settled down.  She told me that there was a good chance that Fan and Mortar had erupted between Tuesday and Wednesday due to observations of other gazers.  After enjoying the 1805 Old Faithful and airing up my bike tires, we decided to head to West Yellowstone (for the night).
     Friday (Oct. 17th) we made our way into the Park as daylight tried to spread its warm, colorful glow over the area.  It was approximately 26 degrees at 7:30 AM.  We layered up and headed out to check on the geysers.
     ~0900 - Grotto ended its eruption
     0910 ie - Castle MJR
     0921 - Plume
     The Visitor Center radioed the geyser predictions:  Daisy - 10 AM, Castle - 10:10 PM, Grand - 3:30 PM
     0955 - Daisy
     1109 - Oblong (d=6 1/2 min.) After a short wait!
     1146 - Aurum (seen from the Lower Store parking lot)
     1058 ns - Fountain (ended at 1125) Was called over the radio.
     Beehive had pulled a 26 hour interval Thursday, so Polly & I headed up early presuming the interval would be 23 or 24 hours for Friday.
     1219 ie - Daisy (seen from Geyser Hill)
     1232 - Water in Beehive's Indicator
     1233 - Beehive's Indicator followed by Close to Cone Ind.
     1246 - Plume
     1249 - Beehive
     Lion taunted us with its pre-initial splashing, but we headed for Grand (only to find out that Lion erupted at ~1335).
     1359 ns - Grotto Fountain & Grotto (with the latter ending at ~1545)
     1401 - West Triplet
     1345 - Great Fountain P=0 (per Bill W.)
     1418 ns - Riverside
     1427 - Daisy
     1438 - Rift (d=50 min.)
     1444 ie - Oblong
     1633 - Grand (T1Q)
     1640 - Daisy
     1711 ie - Fountain
     Polly & I returned to the Upper Basin for the 1803 - Plume and the 1811 ns - Old Faithful.  A bison herd had moved into the Castle/Pump Station area, so rather than get trapped down Basin (if it was ever safe to bike that way), we decided to call it a night (since daylight ends much sooner now).  After some food, total exhaustion won out and thus ended Friday.
     Saturday, was crisp again, but beautiful!  We arrived in time to see Lion finish.  We decided to divide and conquer.
     0804 - Plume
     0813 - Old Faithful
     0819 ie - Riverside
     Polly headed to Fan and Mortar as I went over to check on Grand.
     Polly reported that by 0830 Grotto was not ie, Riverside was no longer erupting, and Fan & Mortar had not erupted over night.
     I watched a strong Turban at 0832.
     Sawmill had a 2 minute eruption at 0922.
     0924 ie - Lion
     The Visitor Center radioed the overnight electronic times,  (Grand erupted at 0058E & Castle at 2221 the previous night.)
     1017 - Daisy
     1028 - Grand (T2C) with a wonderful sky
     1044 - West Triplet
      I took a scenic route to get to the Hill.  I parked at the now closed Old Faithful Lodge and headed for the Hill.  (I heard Lion - 1046 ns and Plume - 1101 radioed, so I knew Beehive was being watched.  Polly radioed 1105 ie for Grotto & Grotto Fountain.  I was just headed up the hill, when water in Beehive's Indicator was radioed at 1115.  I arrived as Beehive's Indicator started at 1117.  Old Faithful erupted at 1129.  (Hurry up, I want a duo!)
     1131 - Beehive (Yeah!  It's a duo!)  And Polly made it to the over look in time from Fan & Mortar.
     1202 ns - Castle MJR
     1405 - Riverside
     1420 - Splashing in Main (Finally!)
     1427 - White Stuff, 1428 - River on, 1429 - Gold & Hi on, 1436 - Gold Pause, 1443 - River on (Main Huffed), 1444 - Gold & Hi on, 1447 - Angle on (Water levels after 10 minutes were variable, but Gold still had water at 23 minutes.  Sigh!  No eruption.
     1508 ie - Artemisia (steam cloud)
     1513 ie - Oblong (after a long interval)
     Polly & I took a gamble and headed for Fountain (since Maureen had reported a 1020 ie).
     1611 - Spasm (d=14)
     Jets - 1613, 1621, 1630
     Maureen reported that Great Fountain had started at ~3:20 PM, when she saw us at Fountain.
     1635 - Fountain (d=31 min.)
     1638 - Morning's Theif had 4 nice bursts
     We returned to the Upper Basin to find Vent in eruption at 1735.  I headed down basin to check on Fan & Mortar.  West Triplet was in eruption at 1740.  Nothing was happening at the"Rock Pile".  Rift was in eruption when I was returning at 1811 and Turban & Vent were still erupting.  Back to West Yellowstone for the night.
     October 19 (Sunday) was partly cloudy and felt chillier.  Polly & I hurried to get ready and headed for "The Rock Pile".  As we headed down, an Interpretive Ranger told us that Riverside was in over flow, he expected Daisy in about an hour, and Fan & Mortar had NOT erupted.  We watched Riverside then returned to wait for Daisy while eyeing both Grand and Oblong.
     0811 - Riverside
     0858 - Daisy
     We were headed back to Fan and Mortar when the bull elk, and his small harem of 3 cows and 3 calves wandered across the bike path on their way to the Riverside sign.  We enjoyed his majesty, but gave him plenty of room as he paused during his snack time to bugle.
     0939 ie - Oblong (ended at 0942)
     I rode my bike to Castle and was headed for Grand when uh oh!  0951 - Grand!  I kept going and enjoyed the second and third bursts at Grand.  Yes, it was a G3Q!
     0955 ie - West Triplet
     1007 - Rift
     1021 - Aurum (viewed from the Lower Store parking lot where I was loading Kevin's bike onto my vehicle)
     1051 ie - Grotto (radioed by Polly)
     I glanced up to see several splashes from Beehive, but I saw people in the usual Indicator watch zones, so I didn't hurry.  I radioed Polly to tell her about the splashes and had just switched back to the geyser channel, when oops!  Beehive Indicator at 1053!  I hopped onto my bike and headed for the overlook.  (The geyser watchers turned out to be visitors taking a break!)
     1100 ie - Daisy (steam cloud)
     1103 - Plume
     1107 - Beehive
     1055 ie - Fountain (called over the radio by Bill W.)
     I returned to my vehicle to get my backpack and headed for Fan and Mortar.
     1153 ie - Artemisia
     1302 - Daisy
     1351 ie - Oblong (steam cloud)
     1413 - Riverside
     I headed for my vehicle with plans for heading home.
     1450 - Plume
     1456 ie - Lion (I was loading my bike which explains the ie.)
     1456 - Old Faithful
     1457 ns - Castle (although it looked like it might minor)
     It was time to head home!  I had delayed long enough.  The drive home was uneventful.  I saw 2 swans swimming in Yellowstone Lake, and 2 Big Horn Sheep outside the park, and night descended quickly without even a moon for the remainder of my trip.
     There are only 2 weekends left that I may be able to come in before the Park closes.  The Visitor Center and Snow Lodge/Geyser Grill/?Upper Store are the only places still open.  Next weekend is the final week for Madison Camp Ground.  I hope some gazers are able to make it in.  It was beautiful this weekend with dry roads between Old Faithful and West.  Craig Pass had damp spots that froze overnight and Sylvan Pass had packed snow/ice on Thursday afternoon, but was dry Sunday.  Take care!  Kitt Barger