[Geysers] Mystery

Beckykr at aol.com Beckykr at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 17:43:12 PDT 2008

Scott,

Bruce Jensen also asked me about this, and I realized I mis-typed the
direction.  What was in my head was correct but it didn't translate to the  e-mail.
It was toward Old Faithful, and it was Southwest.  It seemed  really like a
long way to me, but that overlook is at very high elevation.   But I was
curious because I couldn't imagine what could be seen from  that distance.

It would have helped if I got the direction right in my original e-mail,  but
I'd like to know what you think now that I have corrected it.

The photos are not very helpful.  I'm going to sharpen my pencil and  dust
off my protractor and work with the map.  But if the topography  between Old
Faithful and the overlook is such that it wouldn't be  possible to see the tops
of the eruptions from that distance, then it  may remain a mystery.

Thanks,

Becky

<<Many things do not fit with this report. Looking southeast from  Washburn
Hot Springs Overlook is most decidedly NOT looking toward Old Faithful,  which
from there is many miles away over and beyond the Central Plateau.   Indeed,
SE from that overlook would be looking across the canyon toward such  places as
Josephs Coat, Coffee Pot, and etc. I find it extremely difficult to  believe
that anything other than steam cloud(s) were seen -- steam clouds  that can
appear to come-and-go when there is even only a slight breeze.

Without further explanation/description of the location -- are there  photos?
-- I'd say steam east of the canyon is what was seen.