[Geysers] Fan & Mortar 10/30 2231

Jensjday2 at aol.com Jensjday2 at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 20:59:13 PST 2008

(I sent this October 31 2008 but I guess it vanished.)

I arrived at Fan & Mortar at 2218 (10/30/2008) to download.

High, Gold and Angle were going less than a foot high, but drooling. All
other vents (except Rivervent) were quiet. I saw that the marker was still in
place. The three vents got higher with a lot of water, then seemed to completely
 stop, and I thought no eruption.

But they soon came back stronger and spewing even more water. At about 2225
High took off. I could not see how high it was going but estimated that water
was reaching 40 percent of the way to the benches.
Gold was still only about a foot high and Angle was doing nothing. After a
couple of minutes High slowed down but soon resumed the same strength.  At 2229
Gold and Angle joined for a full Lock.

With in a few moments, Main vent which had started to make its deep  rumbling
splashing sound turned into a high pitched whining roar like a jet and  water
started to dome over the vent. I thought the eruption was starting but it
suddenly quit. East vent started at 2231 and few seconds later Main vent. After
15 seconds Mortar joined in but soon quit until 2233.

Main vent barely cleared the boardwalk which became covered with  ice in
spite of the temperature being a warm 32 degrees.

Unfortunately the recorders thermometer wire corroded at Fan and  Mortar and
no usable data was obtained for the past couple of months.

The recorder at Giant showed the eruption of October 3rd 2008 beginning at
0054.

Jens Day

wrote:

>Greetings and Salutations,
>
>Out of curiosity, does Jens  Day still have a monitor on Fan and Mortar (and
while I'm asking, is there still  >one on Giant)?  If so, it will be
interesting to see the data when it  is finally downloaded.

>Stephen Eide

I apologize for not seeing this email sooner. Yes there are monitors  on
Giant and F&M (when working properly). and were downloaded last night
(10/30/2008).   Jens

5 Travel Deals!