[Geysers] webcam

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Tue May 20 06:58:48 PDT 2008

This involves climbing a tall ladder to reach the cam that's attached to
a tree which may be moving in the wind - risky work.  I don't believe a
squeegee on a pole could be used from the ground.  A protective glass
sheet sits in front of the lens.  The glass is treated with a water
repellant coating similar to Rain-X and has been changed at least once
to my knowledge.  Over time dirt, geyserite or other crud accumulates to
which drops of water attach, affecting the images.  It would be worse
without the coating, requiring cleaning or replacement more often, which
is impractical in winter.  A hood or a motorized wiper might be better
solutions but since this location is temporary are doubtful.  The cams
will probably be moved inside the new VEC, hopefully behind windows that
are easier to keep clean.

Thanks,
Udo Freund