[Geysers] Geyser report May 20

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue May 20 14:51:10 PDT 2008

Looking forward to seeing a lot of people in the next few days -- but be
prepared for cold, as we are due to get some snow each of the next three days,
and then the temp only into the 50s through Memorial Day.

Artemisia was called at 0819.

Beginning to wonder why we continue to go check the always-there F&M
markers. Oh, yeah, maybe it went.

Riverside was in strong overflow at 0655 but did not erupt until  0859.

Not sure what Grotto is up to today -- it was 0630ie this morning, and that
would seem to have been early in the eruption as Variable was essentially full
 and Marathon very high at 0700. Nevertheless, Grotto was still going at
1200. And at, therefore, about 6 hours into some sort of long eruption, Bijou
was still going gang-busters.

At Giant today:
0703 hot period, Feather and SW vents, Mastiff zero overflow, no Rust, no
Cave, Bijou on throughout. Duration = 2m 21s.
0820 high footbath (water easily visible but very low), Bijou weakened but
remained on.
0918 full bathtub. Mastiff had a trickle of overflow and a bit of boiling
and there was a bit of sputtering in SW vents, but nothing from Feather or any
other vent. However, during the bathtub (not before) Bijou briefly turned off,
 and then came on about when Mastiff began to drop. Duration of high water
perhaps 2 minutes.
1031 really low footbath -- water barely and only briefly visible when
standing on the bench. However, Bijou did turn off, if only for a minute or  so.
1142 what do you call it when Bijou turns off for 2-3 minutes but nothing
else visibly happens?

That would seem to be the end of those reports for today. For various
reasons, I, Jere, and Jim all departed early, and Bill was on Geyser Hill.

Daisy 0631ie, 0828, 1028

Oblong still filling about 1 foot below overflow at 0700, eruption at  1100.

Grand 0146E and 1047 (T*1C) -- not sure if its the right technique, but the
asterisk indicates that Grand was full and waving, dropped as Turban started,
then refilled and waved before starting well more than a minute after Turban.
 And by the way, this makes 6 (six) consecutive daylight eruptions of 1
(one) burst.

Castle was in the night again.

Lots of splashing by Lion but no eruption as of noon.

Aurum 0945.

Beehive -- I'm pretty certain that I saw the concluding steam phase at 0512
on the Webcam, a time that fits perfectly with yesterday's eruption time and
with the total deadness of the cone at 0630.

Plume is again scattered, due to being mostly down basin, but 111/2, 58,  and
161/3 minutes.

favorites at AOL Food.