[Geysers] Geyser report May 15

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu May 15 11:40:52 PDT 2008

Bear report, too. I really had to be home to work on my book, so maybe it's
just as well that...

As of 1030 today, THE ENTIRE UGB TRAILS WERE CLOSED, leaving only the Old
Faithful loop and to bike trail as far as below Castle open. There were
apparently two bears in the basin today, one being the same that killed the  bison
calf yesterday. At one point he was right in front of the Inn (in the  parking
lot). After he was finally hazed away, apparently another bear was seen  "on a
paved trail" near Daisy. As I drove out, Black Sand and Biscuit were  still
open.

But I did get out starting at about 0700. Found Graham at Giant.

Today's fun event was the start of Grotto. After a Giant bathtub (better to
call it a footbath), I headed up to Daisy, since it hadn't yet been seen. As I
 passed by Grotto I saw that there was a bit of bubbling in Grotto Fountain,
so I  determined to be back quickly.

Daisy was 0805. Splendid markers in place.

As I got back down to the bike path I could hear a lot of splashing at
Grotto.

0811 Central Vents on, Grotto splashing within the cone, Grotto Fountain
quiet
0812 Grotto vigorous enough to put out water both front and back, so I
called it as on.
0816 Grotto big "initial-type" surge into full eruption. Grotto Fountain  did
not erupt.
0829 South Grotto Fountain
around 0955 Grotto off

At Giant:
0627 Mastiff bathtub (per Graham)
0756 Mastiff bathtub (more a footbath, water hardly visible and "high" for
only a minute or so)
0831 Giant Hot Period ending. I certainly didn't expect a hot period only
half an hour after the footbath, but per Bill's observation of a big steam
increase, this hot period may have started at about 0825. Fortunately, some
visitors were at Giant, and talking to them this apparently had Feather,
Satellite, SW vents and a brief Cave to 2 feet or so. (If I understood Graham  correct
ly, he also saw some Cave yesterday.)

I left Giant after that, and certainly that would seem to have been the  last
on-site observation for today.

Fan and Mortar markers were in place as of 0823.

Oblong 0700.

Grand was 0909, but we have no idea how many bursts it had due to both  steam
and bear.

My Penta marker placed yesterday was gone this morning.

Castle 0745 minor.

Lion was splashing all morning. Beehive was splashing all morning.

Aurum 0906.

Plume was running long, with an interval of 85 minutes, which we felt might
have been a double until the next interval definitely was 78 minutes.

As I departed, Artemisia was 1039ns.

A short stop at Biscuit found nothing unusual.
A short stop at Fountain found its runoff damp.

favorites at AOL Food.