[Geysers] Geyser report May 14

robert haker roberthaker at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 12:44:46 PDT 2008

TS Bryan,   I thought the Park was for the people, NOT the dumb animals! Get vocal and write to your senators and congressmen and voice your opinion.  I do.

      ROB

TSBryan at aol.com wrote:
      Just in time for the first nice weekend of the season (70s are forecast), the trails might be closed. And this time it will include Geyser Hill. Reason -- this morning a big griz visited the UGB, from the interchange via Castle to Geyser Hill where, apparently, he killed a bison calf near Giantess. Story is that the trails ARE now closed. [sigh]

  Meanwhile:

  F&M markers were in place at 0900.

  Giant remains as it was. This morning Graham got a hot period at 0732 with Feather, SW and Bijou on for a whopping 1m 46s. After that I got a bathtub at 0835 and another bathtub at 0942. And I left.

  Grotto Fountain 0727, Grotto 0729. That's another thing I've noticed. Instead of the delay from Grotto Fountain to Grotto being 10-15-20- and more minutes, as last year, the typical delay is only a handful of minutes (5 minutes and 2 minutes yesterday, 2 minutes today).

  Daisy 0608, not seen, 0811, and 1018.

  Oblong 1107ns (ns, because we were watching the bear).

  Grand 0316E and 1025 (T1C).

  Bulger is doing really nice stuff and today had a major duration of 8 minutes.

  The Penta marker I placed yesterday was gone today. Also, probably overnight, Churn had a series that cleanly washed the channels. The group was again in Tardy cycles today, but no Penta or Churn while I was there.

  Castle 0446E major.

  I had multiple reasons for getting back to town early, and given the bear I departed the area shortly before noon. Kendall and Kurtis Madsen are in, and maybe they'll have a later report.

  Fountain was 0715ie as I drove in.

  Scott Bryan

  P.S. Just called the OFVC (at 1615) -- the downbasin trails remain open, but the trail from Sawmill to Geyser Hill, OF to Geyser Hill (and obviously Geyser Hill) are closed. The killed calf is apparently near Butterfly Spring.