[Geysers] Steamboat Steam Phases

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Sun May 11 22:50:53 PDT 2008

In my continuing quest to better understand Steamboat Geyser, I have another set of questions:

How long does Steamboat's steam phase last?

One might qualify this by asking:

1)      How long does the *violent* part of the steam phase last-the part that is deafening?  10 minutes?  30 minutes?  100 minutes?

2)      How long does the rest of the steam phase last?  1 hour?  3 hours?  6 hours?  24 hours?

I have always had a hunch that the progress of a Steamboat eruption might most closely resemble that of Beehive, although at twice the height, 10-20 times the power, and perhaps 3 times the duration.

Hopefully, I will someday know these answers from personal experience, but until then, thank you for filling me in.

Jeff Cross
Jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu