[Geysers] Mini geyser report May 9

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 9 17:53:23 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/9/2008 11:00:11 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
billwarnock at wyellowstone.com writes:

It is indeed Giantess.  Scott called me this morning  after talking with
Butch Bach at the OFVC.  They had a visitor report  that Giantess had started
erupting sometime after 9 pm yesterday.  Am  sure Scott will report more after our
visit to the basin today, and our first  dinner at the OF Inn which opens
today.  It is snowing as I write...will  spring ever arrive?

Well, per the above, I was in. At 1500, when it was snowing so hard that it
was impossible to see any of Geyser Hill, I departed. I planned to stop at
Fountain, then return to Old Faithful for this evening, but there the road was
slushy, it was snowing hard, so I drove straight on home. Good that I did --
the  layout proofs of the new edition of my book arrived at 1800, and I had to
sign  for the package.

Well, anyhow, I was in the UGB only from 1245 until 1500 or so. what little
I saw was:

Plate 1259. That's the first Plate I've seen this year but, of course, it
should be expected with Giantess.

The only Plume I could see was at 1307.

Grand started at 1320. Judging by the steam, it was a Turban start. That's
all. About 3 minutes into the eruption it was totally hidden by snow.

Beehive 1406. I sort of saw it start, but then got out of the snowy car to
listen to be sure. Most of the eruption was totally invisible. However, in the
handful of minutes before it started I did not see the Indicator -- either
there  was none or it was very short.

Giantess had a water phase, with jets to maybe 40 or 50 feet, at 1330. It
was again 1444ie -- I think. Snow again. By the way, the seismometer and visitor
 report match for a start time of 2110, May 8. -- I have so few things here
in  Montana -- so when was the last eruption?

During the one brief time when the snow stopped and it was possible to see
downbasin, it appeared that  Grotto was off and there was very little steam  at
Giant. No Oblong, no Daisy seen today.

The weather is supposed to be fairly nice tomorrow, but then more  stormyness
-- and the Weather Channel says there is a major storm brewing in the  ocean
and it's supposed to dip way south. I see that it is snowing a bit right  now
(1840). As Bill said -- will spring ever really get here?

favorites at AOL Food.