[Geysers] Monarch history

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Thu May 8 06:00:52 PDT 2008

Scott Bryan wrote:
A REQUEST -- Today when talking to the ranger at Norris, he commented about the current apparently-minor stuff at Monarch. I commented about the activity of a few years ago -- I was thinking 2000 but I guess it was actually 1994. Anyhow, I have few details, but I'll bet somebody else does. I appreciate a bit of a narrative, and I know the people at Norris would, too, as they were totally unaware of any such action and on guided walks tell people that it has been dormant since 1913. Thanks.

What I recall is that Rick Hutchinson went in, (possibly in March) that year and found snow melted over a wide area, steam killed trees, and evidence of eruption.  I remember the change to the greenish color.  The rest of the summer I saw overflow and very minor eruptions, as seen in the attached photo. . On a personal note, for those of you who know the junior ranger in the photo, she graduates with a degree in Wildlife Biology this coming Saturday, so no Yellowstone for me.  I hope to see many of you over Memorial Day weekend.

MA

M.A. Bellingham
mabdepot at msn.com