[Geysers] Geyser report May 4

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun May 4 16:50:01 PDT 2008

No, Giant did not erupt overnight. Nor yet as of 1730 today. But more  really
odd stuff in that part of the geyser basin, so I'll deal with that  first.

At 0700 or before, Grotto was on. Starting time is unknown, but it must  have
been some sort of mini-marathon (or maybe just exceptionally long normal)
because:
-- the Giant Complex was dead except for some weak jetting seen in Catfish
(only) while Grotto was still on.
-- Grotto shut off sometime between 0800 and 0900 (probably 0845  +/-).
-- Bijou was splashing by 0937

We all said: "Hmmm."

Lo and behold, the "recovery" hot period happened at 1135. It had a  whopping
duration of 3 minutes with Feather and SW Vents only. Mastiff did not
overflow.

Between then and the next event, the water level in The GIP got
progressively lower by several inches.

The next event did not take place until 1521, and it was a bathtub.

Through the day, the water in Variable Spring went from perfectly clear to
distinctly murky.

Then there was a hot period at 1613. Duration 3m 15s. Feather and SW Vents
only, Mastiff did not overflow.

Oblong was in overflow strong enough for Steve to pause there at 0700.
Oblong was in overflow at 1600. It did not erupt all day. What it did do was  rise
and fall on intervals of 2 to 5 minutes, overflowing and boiling (sometimes
to 2 feet or so) on each rise, then dropping probably not more than 2  inches.

North and East Purple Pools were again in overflow this morning.

On a day that was essentially windless, Daisy had an interval of 3h  48m

Riverside had an interval of 6h 52m.

Sheesh.

Grand overnight was never called, though I guesstimated 0400 based on the
refilling. It erupted at 1049 (T2Q).

Uncertain was in post-eruptive steam phase at 1116.

Castle had a minor at 1025 and had not restarted as of 1630.

Lion 1442 ini and 1601.

Aurum at 0635 and 1047ie.

Plume gave intervals of 45; 53, 49, 48, 49, and 102/2.

I end with Beehive, which caused some of us to (finally) abandon Giant.
Indicator 1535, Beehive 1547.

Biscuit Basin remains closed, as do the trails from there to Morning Glory
and Artemisia. The sub-adult twin griz are back in the area.

favorites at AOL Food.