[Geysers] GIANT overnight 3/3-4, and Black Diamond report

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 09:17:13 PST 2008

Sorry for the delay...

During my geyser predict ski yesterday morning, 3/4, the ice started on the boardwalk about halfway between Grotto and Giant, with a little skiff of snow on top.  Lots of ice on the platform, again with a little snow on top.  The Giant sign was washed down, across and ended up against one of the uprights of the platform.  The danger log was simply turned over; the metal sign (unattached since 2 eruptions ago) was down in the puddle.

Later on Rowan Laing reported a lot of sediment in the "pool up from Opal"; Jim Holstein saw a wider runoff channel, and sediment, with some snow on top.  Since Biscuit is visited daily by many guides, it seems likely an overnight event 3/3-4 also.

We had a nice Old Faithful/Beehive dual a little before 9 a.m. yesterday...

Carolyn Loren