[Geysers] West Thumb Geyser

David Goldberg geyserlistserv at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:09:05 PST 2008

      My initial reaction to the 7-10 foot geyser near Black Pool report was that it was "Skinny" geyser, but in talking with Will Ried (the guide who first saw the eruption) I think that can be ruled out.  First, he described it emerging from a hole about half a foot in diameter.  "Skinny" comes from a pin hole which can't be seen when it's not erupting.  The eruption was characterized as more fountain type, with rapid but separate jets.  "Skinny" is a steady cone type.  Most importantly, he said the closest view was after you had walked from Abyss down past Black Pool and looked back.  "Skinny" would be closest before you reached Black Pool.  Anyway, all this leads me to believe that it is a different geyser, though perhaps the same one that James Evrard saw last winter.  I haven't had a chance to corner him about the details of that eruption yet.

David Goldberg