[Geysers] (no subject)

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:14:19 PDT 2008

Thanks for the initial comments! This work in progress will probably wait until winter, as the ranger has a different job this summer.

Carolyn

From: TSBryan at aol.comDate: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:07:41 -0400Subject: Re: [Geysers] (no subject)To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu

In a message dated 6/8/2008 5:53:58 PM Mountain Daylight Time, caroloren98 at hotmail.com writes:
>From the GIS lab I have several maps with some named features.  Additions or comments would be much appreciated, Carolyn Loren

Well, I'll be a curmudgeon and say that I guess the maps are a start. Here's a sampling of errors/problems.

The trails are very poorly done, probably leading to some of the following problems.

Ditto the indication of the river.

Why are different scales shown on the supposedly adjoining maps? And how were the scales determined, the smallest division on the north map being the same as 39.6 feet.

And why are som many highly-important features not shown whereas a number of minor (in at least two cases, non-existent) things are shown.

North map:
Sprite Pool, not Sprite Spring
Riverside is shown a long way from the river.
Indicator Spring, not Grotto Pressure Pool
Startling Geyser, not Startle Geyser

South map:
Limekiln Springs, not Lime Kiln Spring
Belgian Pool, Old Tardy Geyser, Oval Spring misplaced with respect to the trail.
Ear Spring and Beach Spring ditto.
Peanut Pool and Butterfly Spring names reversed.
Location of Midget is highly questionable, probably belongs much farther north. Labeled location equates with Spume Geyser/Spew Spouter.
Ball Cap Geyser (originally Ballcap) probably does not exist.

Scott Bryan

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.