[Geysers] Geyser report Sun June 8

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 14:14:38 PDT 2008

I had but one real goal today, and that was to watch Great Fountain for
refilling and first overflow. Success. And since it snowed, albeit lightly, all
morning, a good day for windshield watching.

At 0620, Great Fountain was visually empty, as it was at 0855. I watched
Pink Cone to its end (last water 0949) and returned to find Great Fountain still
visually empty at 1000. However, upon glancing up from some reading, water
was  visible at 1018. Theeafter, it rose and fell on cycles of a few minutes,
each  rise getting a bit higher that the previous until -- first overflow at
1058.

So in comparison to the 1994 observations:

Both wild phases were preceeded by abnormally short intervals from the
previous eruption.

Both wild phases had durations of approximately 2 days (probably plus a
little in both cases).
     (Note: on Friday, 6/6/08, we visually had the  effective end of the wild
phase, consisting only of boiling confined to within  the crater, happening
around 1030. However, according to Carolyn Loren, the  electronic monitor
continued to show elevated temperatures until about 1450; my  feeling is that this
was simply some slight, continuing overflow from the  formations and not a
mark of any "new water" onto the platform.)

>From the end of the wild phase, in 1994 it apparently took in the vicinity
of 2 days for Great Fountain to fill and reach overflow, and the first overflow
 today was essentially 48 hours from Friday's end.

This being the case, if this recovery continues to follow the 1994 pattern,
we should see frequent, perhaps episodic, "false" overflows throughout the day
 tomorrow and likely into (perhaps, through) Tuesday.

This is fun.

A few other things:

Fountain 0608 (ns, due to the end of the steam cloud at 0635) and  1249ns.

Pink Cone, as noted above, had last water at 0949, implying a start time
near 0810. Yesterday, Jere had Pink Cone as 1310ie.

Narcissus 0638 (short), 1036ie, and 1231 (short).

White Dome 1044, 1108, 1137, and 1206.

While briefly up at Old Faithful:

Plume 0732 and 0840.

Aurum 0813.

Beehive was said to be splashing at about 2130 last night, and it was  having
splashes at 0710 this morning.

Oblong 0848ie as I departed the OF area.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.