[Geysers] Orange Mound Spring Damage

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Sat Jun 7 11:13:01 PDT 2008

While in the park over Memorial Day Weekend, I visited Orange Mound Spring.
The activity was fantastic.  Water was pouring off the mound, especially on
the side closest to the road.  New formations are building fast.  This leads
to the problem.  It appears that park maintenance is still up to its old
tricks.  The damage to the formations next to the road was disgusting.  While
it was probably necessary for the park service to do something about the
formation's encroachment on the road, the way they did it showed no respect
for the resource, and left an ugly scar on the landscape.

At the time I visited, it was obvious that over the winter, Orange mound had
encroached on the road.  It appears that the flow of water came off the
mound, flowed along the ground beside the road, forming small terraces and
areas of travertine ice, the flow then diverted across the road where it
started building formations across the entire width of the road.

When I arrived, the damage had already been done.  I was not pleased at what I
saw and tracked down information on what had happened.  Maintenace, used
heavy equipment to scrape the formations off the road, they dug a very ugly
ditch through the formations alongside the road to divert the water towards a
small hole, and probably worst of all, they reamed out that hole making it
large enough to act as a drain for the water.  The drain not only diverted
water from the road but dried up an area off the road where some nice
formations were building.  Of course, when I saw them they were dry and
beginning to crumble.  No attempt was made to mitigate the impact of these
changes are to try to make them fit in with the surroundings.

The park service did not learn from Pink Cone.  Their resource protection
track record especially near roads is not good.  They complain about visitors
damaging resources but two of the worst examples of deliberate thermal
resource damage in the past few years have been through the actions of the
park service.

It will be interesting to see if there are ramifications from this event.  My
understanding is that there are individuals in the Park hierarchy that are
not pleased with what happened at Orange Mound.  To their credit, the park
had apparently been trying to come up with a low impact plan to address the
issue.  Unfortunately, maintenance, went out and did its own thing.

The park talks about resource protection and uses it in its arguments for the
proposed closure of some thermal areas to the public.  This is an interesting
argument when some of the worst offenders are in the park service itself.
The park administration needs to hold park employees to at least the same
standard it holds the public.  I would argue, that since they understand the
resources better, the park service should be held at a higher standard.  In
either case, they are failing miserably.

Dave Monteith
P.S.  I'm still working to get some pictures of the damage loaded to my
computer.  If I'm successful, I'll forward them.