[Geysers] Memorial Day Trip Report - Norris

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 09:11:09 PDT 2008

Sorry for being late on this but I thought it was still worth posting.

A couple quick observations from our Memorial Day trip.  We spent a couple
hours Sunday at Norris.  I didn't make it to the back basin but still saw
some fun stuff.

The big news from Porcelain basin was Blue Geyser.  It was active and
overflowing.  Bursts were variable but included some respectable 10-12 foot
nicely domed eruptions.  They were spaced 10-20 minutes apart.  I haven't
seen so much water in Porcelain basin since the mid to early 90s.  In the
hour and a half I was there I saw 13 geysers (Blue, Constant and Arsenic are
the only ones I can name.)  I also saw a twenty foot geyser in the general
area of Graceful.  The nice but steamy eruption lasted 4-5 minutes.  Lastly,
Guardian was active as a loud forceful steam vent that overpowered the volume
of Black Growler.  Even though it had melted considerably, he remaining
icecone above Guardian was still impressive.

Forgotten Fumarole was active.  Tara saw a number of eruptions.  Eruptions
occurred about every few minutes (Tara's in Denver and I can't remember the
intervals she got but I think they were in the 5-10 minute range.)  The
height and strength was quite variable with eruptions of very black muddy
water from a few feet to about 12 feet.

Dave