[Geysers] Fw: (USGS/NPS News Release) What Makes an Old GeyserFaithful?

Paul Behunin lord_aragorn_elessar at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 09:03:47 PDT 2008

I agree, this is a very interesting question. Page 3 of T. Scott Bryan's 3rd ed of "The Geysers of Yellowstone" talks about studying the tritium content of the erupted geyser water to determine its age. Since tritium is radioactive it decays over time; according to Wikipedia it has a half-life of 4500±8 days (approximately 12.32 years), meaning that after that amount of time the total amount of tritium will have decreased to half the original amount. Tritium decays into helium-3 (now we all have something to talk about at parties). "The Geysers of Yellowstone" says that tritium is nearly absent in most of Yellowstone's waters, so it must be "old" water. The book also says that "it is commonly believed that the water erupting from Old Faithful today fell as precipitation roughly 500 years ago." I assume this belief came about by a comparison of the tritium level of erupted Old Faithful water with that of a fresh rain sample from around Old Faithful & using the half-life formula for tritium? Since tritium is nearly absent (not totally absent) from the erupted water, there must be a measurable trace of it left, so we can get a reasonably accurate guess as to the age of the water. I don't know if the new paper that explores "Climate-Induced Variations of Geyser Periodicity in Yellowstone National Park, USA" takes all of this into account or not. As I said, an interesting question!

Have a great day, all!

Paul