[Geysers] Twin Geyser?

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:51:54 PDT 2008

   I was at West Thumb on June 28, and even took a handful of pictures,
including one of Twin (I'll attach it).  It was gently overflowing, and
appeared warm but not hot, especially compared to summers when it was in a
continuous superheated froth.  Definitely nothing about it's appearance made
me think "Ooh, this could erupt in a week or two," although I did think to
myself that it was kind of neat to see water in it at all after seeing the
empty, steaming holes last year.

   Otherwise, a lot of things were different from last year, but nothing
seemed particularly remarkable.

   Abyss seems to be continuing to cool to its pre-'91 state.

   King looked very hot and steamy, as usual.

   The lake was washing just over the top of Big Cone with each swell, so
needless to say, everything else on the shore was well underwater.  There
was what appeared to be a new, or at least newly active, feature with a
freshly gouged runoff channel just above the shore boardwalk and below
what's left of Ledge Spring's runoff channels (two pics attached).

   I'm not good with names in the main area, but I'll do my best:

   Like last year, Surging Spring was low and cool.  Unlike last year, so
was Ledge Spring.  The spring with the slumping rim across the boardwalk
from them was hot (swimming-pool blue) but low and quiet.

   Another crater a bit toward Twin on the same side of the boardwalk was
also hot but several feet down, and was boiling and surging from a vent in a
cavernous recess under an overhang on one edge of the pool (pic attached).
This _might_ have been Thumb Geyser, but if pressed, I really couldn't tell
you which hole out there used to have the sign in front of it.  I will say
that if anything in the main basin looked like it might do something
remotely interesting, it was this feature.

   Percolating Spring was hot but down the better part of a foot.

   Perforated Spring was hot and overflowing.

   Ephedra was just below overflow and much cooler than last year.

   One round spring across from Blue Funnel was overflowing and a rich
orange color, but the vast majority of the generic circular craters in the
main flat were low, cool, and unremarkable.

David Schwarz