[Geysers] Green Spring

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 09:13:54 PDT 2008

     On July 6 I observed an eruption of Green Spring in Black Sand Basin.  I noticed the first splash at 8:03 while sitting at Jagged Spring.  The eruption lasted eight minutes (8:03 to 8:11).  The slow-motion eruption consisted of several series of discrete bursts (about four to six), each series separated by a short period (several seconds) of quiet.  The doming bursts were from three to eight feet high and were as wide or wider than they were tall.  Larger bursts sent waves out over the edge of the crater and washed the gravel near the boardwalk.  The small spouter (Bryan’s UNNG-BSB-2) to the southeast of Green Spring played constantly throughout the eruption to a height of a little over a foot.
     The pool level dropped ten to twelve inches during the twenty-five minutes following the eruption and reached a low ebb at 8:37.  It then refilled with noticeable bubbling and reached overflow fifty-eight minutes later at 9:35.  The bubbling continued sporadically throughout the day.  The ranger (Joshua) who led a walk through the basin later that day said that he had never seen the bubbling before.  Could Green Spring be entering an active phase?  It bears watching.
     The eruption was accompanied by much steam, so photographing the event was difficult.  I did get a couple of shots where you can clearly see the rounded domes of water that typified the eruption.  I also photographed the partially-drained pool.  I was surprised to be the only person in the basin at that time of morning.

Steve Gryc