[Geysers] the whole works

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:25:16 PST 2008

What a storm!  On a day off yesterday I skied around for a few hours to experience it.  Skied off the boardwalk once near Dome (active, 1/28) and throughout the basin it's really hard to tell where boardwalks end.  You can't tell when you're skiing on top of the Grand benches any more.  39 official inches of snow on the ground here.

But in geyser news, I replaced the signs at Giant this morning, though it looked like it went late Saturday or Sunday maybe.  No geyser predict schedule on Sunday, and Megan only made it to the lower store yesterday, in an hour and a half...

It was good we now have a crowbar at Giant to get the signs out of the ice.  They were both just on the lower level, in front of the platform; the danger sign is missing at the moment, we just have the log to tell us something about Mastiff.

I also replaced the Fan & Mortar marker, and there was hard ice on the snow from Spiteful clear to the bridge.  Jabbing at it with a ski pole did nothing.

And you may have seen Beehive this morning, at 0724, 1/29, the time courtesy of Carolyn of the wonderful streaming video.

By the way Ralph Taylor, we're trying to reach you about an ailing shuttle.

Carolyn Loren