[Geysers] Geyser model

Craig Messerman cmflyer at bresnan.net
Mon Jan 14 19:08:56 PST 2008

Our model is based on the Exploratorium versions (which all of these
are, I guess).  I made a new one last year:  A 250 ml erlenmeyer with
stopper and about 24 inches of glass tubing inserted in stopper.  At
the top of the glass tubing I attached a pint-sized, clear-plastic
container (Glad brand or some other disposable kind).  Without water
the whole thing is light enough to stand up by itself, and it is all
transparent to see what's happening.  To attach the little tub
permanently I drilled the hole in the bottom by heating the glass and
melting it through. Then I bought two small O-rings at the local
hardware store that sit on the glass above and below the hole to seal
it.  I used some two-part epoxy to really seal the O-rings
permanently to the plastic and glass (plumber's putty works too, if
you want to take it apart, but it tends to leak).   For the demo I
use a tall ringstand to support the tub, and the flask sits on a
small hotplate. I set it up so the top end of the tube about 3 cm
below the rim of the tub so I can nearly fill the tub with water, get
good splashing, and get quick recycling because the water in the tub
stays cooler. I think the small flask also helps with quick
recycling. We've been using this model for years and have never had
any glass shatter. Of course, they are always Kimax or Pyrex.  I
always fill the model with distilled water to keep it and the
surroundings free of scale and salt.

I also model a cone type geyser very simply by putting a thick-
walled, tall neck Florence flask (flat bottomed, 500 mL) on a
hotplate with 50-100 mL of distilled water in it.  Heat on medium-
high until boiling, then jam a rubber stopper in the top and crank
the heat to full and stand back.  After a few tense minutes the
stopper will blow off and about half the water will turn to steam,
and with any luck the ceiling will get all wet too. I keep the whole
thing a safe distance from my students, but I've done it 100 times
with consistent results, always with the same flask that I hide away
for this one purpose. I also took video of the eruptions that we
analyze in slow motion. It's a crowd-pleaser.

Craig Messerman
Sentinel High School, Missoula, MT

cmesserman at mcps.k12.mt.us
cmflyer at bresnan.net