[Geysers] F&M observations 2/17-2/23

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Fri Feb 29 16:33:45 PST 2008

I am glad to see that F&M erupted this week.  Here are my rather sparse
notes on the activity for the week before.

General observations:

1)                   I never saw Bottom Vent erupting or evidence that it
had been erupting (e.g. the snow was very slow to clear in its runoff
channel and the runoff channel was never fully wet when I observed it)

2)                   There were several days I saw event cycles with Main
Vent (MV) and Bottom Vent (BV) splashing.  When river restarted it would
sometimes stay on for a while, look like it was going to stop, then came
back on strong followed by Gold and Angle.

3)                   Water levels did stay good for 10-15 minutes on a
couple of occasions before turning over to steam (not just on event cycles
either)

4)                   There was only one day I saw two event cycles (Saturday
23rd) and the interval between them was about 6 hours.  The activity then
was the strongest of the week with a huge splash out of Main Vent.

Sunday Feb 17th

0628 River Vent (RV) turned on and MV and BV splashing

Looked like Gold Vent (GV) turned on weakly but unsure due to steam

0639 RV looked like it turned off but came back on strong quickly

0644 GV on

0646 AV on

Monday Feb 18th

1555ie RV, GV, AV on - good water for 15 minutes

Tuesday Feb 19th

Did I mention that Giant erupted 0932?  :-)

Then I went down to the UGB so no F&M events observed.

Wednesday Feb 20th

1454 RV turned off

1503 RV cough

1518 BV splashing

1519 MV splashing

1529 RV on and BV continued to splash

1540 RV off - RV Pause

1546 RV on and MV and BV splashing

1552 GV on

1558 AV on

Thursday Feb 21st

1145 RV was off and so was AV (most of the time AV had been on when RV was
off before)

1159 MV and BV splashing

1212 RV on

1214 GV on

1222 RV off - GV Pause?

1223 RV and GV on again

1224 AV on

Water dropped at 15 minutes

Friday Feb 22nd

No events seen, not much observation time since I went down to the UGB
again.

Saturday Feb 23rd

0630 BV and MV splashing

0650 RV on

0657 GV on

0713 RV off - GV Pause.  Strong MV and BV splashing

0715 RV on

0719 RV barely still on

0722 RV Pause?

0724 RV, GV, AV all on

1238ie MV and BV splashing

1247 Huge MV splash into East Vent - got me all excited!

1254 RV and GV on

1257 AV on

Good water for 13 minutes then died.

I kept hoping to see BV erupt and was very interested on my last day in the
park with that big splash into East Vent.  Things just didn't seem to be
in-sync though when I was there.  Let's hope it gets going regularly for the
summer season.

Graham.